Thursday 27 February 2014

Nine arty things to do in Cambridge in March 2014




It's the return of the 'What's on' post!


And my, is there ever a lot going on in March.  Here's a foretaste.

The best thing?  Every single exhibition and event is ABSOLUTELY FREE.  Yay.


1.  Elizabeth Eade

Eade
  
 
 I've never been to this pub.  I'm not really a pub person (more of a café person) but this pub has art so I really want to visit.  Elizabeth Eade is yet another of the many talented graduates from the Cambridge School of Art.  

Also:  steampunk woman on shark.  I am smitten. 


Where:  The Geldart (pub), Ainsworth Street (corner Sleaford St; in that area of CB1 that also includes Sturton St, York St and the Backstreet Bistro).
Ends 13 March.










2. John Craxton


John Craxton, Cart Track, 1942-3.  Source: Fitzwilliam Museum


The most talked-about show in Cambridge at the moment.  I went to see this on the weekend.  Definitely worth having a look.  I found some of the works quite kitschy, others very derivative (Picassoesque, Graham Sutherlandesque) but this one here, plus 2-3 others, were amazing.


Where:  Fitzwilliam Museum
Ends 21 April.




 3.  MA Children's Book Illustration


poster_MA%20Low%20Res 


The awesome annual MA Children's Book Illustration show.  Don't miss it.  These hyper-talented illustrators will be tomorrow's Quentin Blakes and Judith Kerrs.  Cambridge School of Art graduates already keep winning all the illustration prizes there are in the world (practically).


Where:  Ruskin Gallery, in the Cambridge School of Art at Anglia Ruskin University.
Ends 13 March.

ETA:  I reviewed the illustration show in a later blog post (with many wonderful pics!).





4. North by Northwest at Hot Numbers




What?  Yet another amazing initiative from the ever-astonishing Hot Numbers (my favourite Cambridge coffee house-cum-art gallery)?  The art gallery is Williams Art Gallery; it's joined to the coffee house via an open archway.

Cary Grant plus a foamy cappuccino.  Yum.

Where:  Hot Numbers coffee house, Gwydir St (corner Mill Rd, in the old brewery)
Hitchcock film screening!  Mon, 3 March.  7 pm.





5.  Melanie Max and Katharina Klug


max klug  

 Melanie Max: one of my favourite Cambridgeshire artists.  I don't know Katharina Klug but am looking forward to discovering her ceramics.

I've not yet visited Burwash Art but Burwash Manor is lovely, with a sweet little tea shop.  About 15 minutes' drive out from Cambridge (depending where you start from).

Where:  Burwash Art at Burwash Manor, New Rd, Barton.
Ends 30 March.






 6. Image / Object / Image


image wilson


A weird thing happening in the English Faculty.  Not quite sure what this is all about but looks intriguing.  Also, a chance to peep inside the neo-modernist English Faculty building, designed by architects Allies and Morrison and finished in 2004.

Where:  Judith E. Wilson Writing Studio, English Faculty of the University of Cambridge, West Road.
Ends 1 March (so hurry!!).



7.  Oliver Barratt and Mark Cazelet

Oliver Barratt, sculpture.  Source:  Lynn Strover Gallery
To my shame, I have yet to visit Lynn Strover's gallery, celebrating its 25th anniversary this year.  I keep meaning to cycle out there and then it rains or I have a deadline or something... Still, I am determined!  If you go, drop me a line and tell me about it.

Sat, 15 March - Sat, 15 April.
Lynn Strover Gallery, Fen Ditton.





8.  Ash Summers and Roeland Verhallen



 A Dutch photographer and an artist based at Wysing Arts.  Could be interesting.  If you go to Image / Object / Image (see above), why not pop in here?  It's 1 minutes' walk away.


Where:  Art at the Alison Richard Building, West Road.
Ends 28 March.





9.  Art and Power in Fiji


This exhibition is still on.  I haven't seen it yet but it's definitely not one to miss. I love the MAA!

Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology (MAA), Downing Street. 
Ends 30 April.




Related posts:



My five favourite works at the Cambridge School of Art Degree Show

Patrick Thurston at Williams Art Gallery

What's on at the Cambridge Science Festival
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...